companies I deeply appreciate
- Red Hat contributes more to FLOSS than any other company,
employing hundreds of developers to work full-time on it.
- Runs the Summer of Code program, which pays hundreds of
students to work full-time for a few months on FLOSS projects of
- Provides Gmail for gratis, which I use as my primary web address.
- Funds the development of Chromium,
a very credible alternative to the world's major web browsers,
and my personal favorite. It's also FLOSS.
- Funds most of the development of Android, which is quickly
becoming the dominant platform for high-end phones, and also
happens to be mostly FLOSS (though I hate the closed development).
- The Stack Exchange family of sites attempt to provide the best Q&A
for a wide array of topics. They have succeeded specifically in one
topic, programming, in a form of Stack Overflow.
- Atlassian offers Bitbucket,
a gratis hosting service for public software projects;
this is a great thing, but not special since there are others offering
the same, most notably GitHub.
What makes it special is that it also offers gratis hosting
for unlimited private repositories.
I have over a dozen such repositories and each time I create one,
I feel like the world is a wonderful place... I am grateful.